Friday, August 7, 2009

A Mourning...



I don't know about you, but when I hear the names John Calvin, Martin Luther, Augustine, etc., I cannot help but imagine brilliant, SERIOUS theologians, complete with robes and a frown.

What we quickly forget, however, is the incredible amount of humor and passion these great men had. And in some cases, this passion for the dramatic was shared by the women standing alongside them.

Katie Luther was an incredible woman. I could spend hours talking about her incredible influence in Martin's life, but one story stands out to me as a perfect example of her wit and wisdom.

Martin Luther was a deep thinker. His thoughts often carried him into the depths of man's sinfulness, which would leave him depressed for weeks or months at a time.

Once, when Luther was so depressed that no words of counsel seemed capable of penetrating this darkness, Katie decided to don a black dress. Luther asked: “Are you going to a funeral?” “No,” she replied, “but since you act as though God is dead, I wanted to join you in the mourning.

He quickly recovered.

I love this. What a wonderful reminder that God appreciates humor, and drama queens. I have a feeling that Katie and I will make great friends someday.

3 comments:

hannah said...

I love that story! I hope God someday provides me with a spouse who can rouse me out of my own dark drama (it does happen sometimes). Is there a good book you'd recommend on her (or other theologians' wives)?

Also, it must be said: she really does resemble Prof Hallstrom.

Simply Sarah said...

I actually have read a great book about her: A Reformation Life: Katharina Von Bora.

It's pretty biographical, but I love books like that. She's so interesting. And as Hallstrom says, she and Luther were incredibly dramatic. I love that :)

hannah said...

Sweet! I'll have to pick it up! I was in Leipzig a couple of months ago, and there's a church there that has a ring that Luther gave to Katie. Wish I'd had the time to go see it - I was only there for 24 hours!

Speaking of Germany, I'm headed back on Friday, and was remembering you have relatives there...I'd love to see them, and I'll message you soon about that!