Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Status...


Well, we're all subjected to them. Multiple times a day. At any time. STATUSES. Facebook asked the question, and we are all are rushing to answer it. What's on your mind? Seems simple enough, but the answers are more varied then anything you'll find within the social-network spectrum.

In my opinion, this short question has popularized the notion that self-indulgence is worth while. Of course! We want to know where you are, who you're with, and what deodorant you're wearing. We don't mind if you're giving us a blow-by-blow account of your colonoscopy, please! Enlighten us with details!!

I couldn't help but laugh (and take a long look in the mirror) when this article came out a few weeks back. I'm including the link here, so please enjoy reading about the "12 Most Annoying Types of Facebookers".

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/20/annoying.facebook.updaters/index.html

Along with the "The Let-Me-Tell-You-Every-Detail-of-My-Day Bore," the "Bad Grammarian," and the "The Self-Promoter" (etc.) there are a few I'd like to add to the list. Of course, when you point a finger, 3 are pointed back at you, so no reminders are necessary: I'm well aware that my statuses have often fallen under one of the annoying categories.

13 (continued from the 12 in the link). The Political Zealot. Are you a Democrat? Are you a Republican? These are not questions you need ask the political zealot. Along with links to articles, news briefings, and the occasional quote from either Steven Colbert or Ann Coulter, the political zealot makes his political opinion VERY clear via status. Any opposing opinions are met with indignation or a heated rebuff. And yes, he will die on every hill to have the last word.

14. Captain Obvious. "100 degrees sucks," "DMV workers are RUDE," "The Beatles are AMAZING!!!" Yes, all true. Blindingly so. While we appreciate Captain Obvious's desire to share genuine feelings with us, some creativity would be nice. Think of a status as a "first impression."

15. The Pious Offender. This is where Facebook catches many at their own game. The Pious Offender might enlighten us with a religious quote or Bible verse, but somehow, their latest photo album seems to speak more loudly: "Vegas 2009~What Mama Don't Know, Won't Hurt."

Although this blog is intended mostly for humor, it does speak to something deeper. My desire to share exclusively about MYSELF (via status) tells me something about my sinful nature: I want to be my own god. I want control over the universe as I see it, and Facebook has allowed me, albeit in a small way, to indulge that selfish desire. Of course, that is in direct conflict with my faith, as Christ should have all of me, while I die to self. That truth is a powerful reminder amidst the pull to answer: What's On Your Mind?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! I loved that article as they were all spot on and hilarious! Love you write-up Sarah, yet again!

Rachel said...

This is great. I am often thinking this myself. Now, I will be more careful with my grammer.