Friday, June 12, 2009

A Treat...


This very random blog is dedicated to something I rarely eat: candy. On my lunch break today, I went to Henry's and passed through the candy aisle: rows and rows of bright colors, pretty wrappers, and....calories. And it got me thinking.

I do not think the allure of candy has much to do with the flavor. In general, the tastes are pretty standard, and either sweet or sour. The real draw is the look; candy is beautiful. The colors, the shapes and sizes, it's really magical.

Candy is also intrinsically linked to childhood: taffy on the boardwalk, a candied apple at the fair, a foot of Bubble Tape on the walk home from school. I will never forget the trips to Disneyland growing up; besides the rides and the occasional meet-and-greet with a Princess, I could NOT wait for my exiting souvenir: a GIANT swirl lollipop. I would literally fall asleep in the midst of that sticky mess on the car ride home. And to this day, I can't resist treating myself...even though I prefer chocolate any day.

It's the memory that counts.

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Candy! I don't eat much of it . But Sarah you are right. Great memories from childhood. My fave candy after trick or treating on Halloween was M&Ms! Mike's was Candy Corn and we would trade from our bags. Also after trips to Disneyland my mom always gad ti buy honeycomb. Back then it didn't come pre packaged at Disney's candy store but just pick it out from the display. Also Peanut Brittle was a must. To this day I have to buy both as a tribute to my mom!

Aunt Kathy said...

oops should have looked at the preview. That was: My mom always had to buy honeycomb!