Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Comedian...




Despite bad hair and worse dress, Elaine Benes (Julia Louise Dreyfuss) is my favorite female sitcom character. It's not often that you find a woman whose performance is so organic, so comfortable, so winsome. Most sitcom women are grating, nagging, and bitter house wives, whose sole purpose in the show is to punish and berate their husbands.

What I love most about Julia's performance are her fearless displays of emotion. Her physical comedy, facial expressions, and precise timing are truly noteworthy. Acting opposite of 3 men, it would be easy for her to get lost under the uneven male to female ratio. But she doesn't. Instead, Julia has created a character who stands out for being brash, clumsy, and always lovable: Elaine Benes.

(My favorite moment from his compilation is Elaine's fight with George, over his horrid toupee. Her expressions and blocking are flawless.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

She's hilarious! Thanks for posting...I'm guessing the inspiration for this came from our quiet night at home last night watching all the Seinfeld bloopers?! Tons of fun!

Jessica said...

She is my favorite too! I want to be just like her. Well... a lot like her. Haha. I love your blog!!